Kolkata, the cultural capital of India, has a rich culinary tradition with a wide range of delicious food options. Here are some of the top trendy food items in Kolkata that you must try:
- Kathi Rolls: Kolkata is famous for its Kathi Rolls, which are made with flaky parathas stuffed with juicy and flavorful fillings like chicken, mutton, egg, paneer, and vegetables.
- Puchka: Puchka, also known as golgappa or panipuri, is a popular street food in Kolkata. It consists of crispy puris filled with spiced potato and chickpea mixture, and dunked in a tangy tamarind water.
- Ghugni: Ghugni is a popular Bengali snack made with dried yellow peas cooked in a spicy tomato-onion gravy and garnished with green chilies, coriander, and tamarind chutney.
- Jhal Muri: Jhal Muri is a quintessential Bengali street food made with puffed rice, peanuts, and chopped vegetables like onion, tomato, cucumber, and green chili, and tossed with mustard oil and spices.
- Chops: Chops are deep-fried croquettes made with minced meat or vegetables coated with breadcrumbs. Some popular varieties include chicken chop, mutton chop, fish chop, and vegetable chop.
- Mishti Doi: Mishti Doi is a sweet yogurt dessert that is a specialty of Kolkata. It is made by boiling milk and adding caramelized sugar to it, which gives it a distinct sweet and tangy flavor.
- Sandesh: Sandesh is a traditional Bengali sweet made with chhana (cottage cheese), sugar, and flavorings like saffron, rose water, and cardamom. It comes in various shapes and flavors, including Nolen gur Sandesh (made with date palm jaggery).
- Rosogolla: Rosogolla is a popular Bengali sweet made with chhana (cottage cheese) balls soaked in sugar syrup. It is a must-try dessert for anyone visiting Kolkata.
- Fish Fry: Kolkata is known for its delicious fish fries made with fresh catch like Bhetki, Pabda, or Hilsa. The fish is marinated in spices and fried to crispy perfection.
- Biryani: Kolkata is famous for its flavorful and aromatic biryani, which is made with fragrant basmati rice and tender pieces of chicken, mutton, or fish, and infused with spices like saffron, cardamom, and cinnamon.
These are just a few of the many delicious food items that Kolkata has to offer. So, make sure to try them all and explore the city’s rich culinary tradition.